HRD Asia forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are you asking illegal interview questions?

Notify me of new replies via email
HRD SG | 17 Apr 2015, 10:00 AM Agree 0
Have you ever asked a job applicant how old they are? If you have, you might be breaking the law. A leading Singapore employment lawyer looks at which interview questions could land you in hot water.
  • Dave Bruback | 17 Apr 2015, 11:12 AM Agree 0
    There are other ways to obtain answers to these illegal interview questions without having to explicitly ask them. The employer always wins.
  • Chris Anthony | 17 Apr 2015, 05:08 PM Agree 0
    The article is surely an eye opener to those who are into Job Interviewing who stray knowingly or unknowingly into asking such sensitive questioning.
    Job Interviewers must prepare themselves to asking intelligent and relevant questions so as to extract the required information from the applicants.

• Laverne Yee | 03 Jun 2015, 11:30 AM Agree 0
    Many hiring managers in Singapore market are still asking those questions without knowing it's inappropriate and it has projected the level of unprofessionalism and culture of the organisation.
  • Raisul Lim | 12 May 2016, 01:50 PM Agree 1
    Most employers - including employment agencies handling assignments on behalf of government agencies and government linked companies - demand that applicants include a non-returnable photograph. They do this so blatantly because the Ministry of Manpower, which is supposedly the watch-dog of unfair employment practices is navel gazing.
  • Mike | 17 Jun 2016, 07:13 PM Agree 0
    Employer may ask you your age before fixing an interview appointment.
  • Andy Tan | 20 Jul 2016, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    By asking certain questions like whether the candidate drink or smoke should be acceptable as this may affect health or morale of other staff members. Whether the candidate marital status is to record down future Childcarte Leave etc. When interviewing candidates , always ask appropriate questions. Most prospective employers/human resources management staff always ask the candidate's age before granting an interview. This is not receommendable as long as the candidate is healthy and meets the requirements of the job opening. A matured and experienced candidate is most likely to stay longer than a younger one who may most likely to job hop when an opportunity arises. Of course when you need someone to carry out heavy tasks/lifting or carry heavy loads, ten you will need a younger and stronger candidate BUT not for managerial/administrative functions.
  • Yam | 14 Sep 2016, 11:43 PM Agree 0
    Recently, I made quite a few calls to find a Cleaner Job for my Mom's friend and 90% of them asked this first question: "How old is your friend?"

By the way, some companies are quite established. But not their processes and legal compliance.

Yam
  • Mini | 15 Mar 2017, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    I have been asked about one of the in recent interview and it was plainly rejected because if that .
    Is there anyway I can go legally file a dispute. Thanks
  • Sil | 11 Apr 2017, 09:14 AM Agree 0
    So what's the recourse for a candidate who wasn't offered the job because they answered one of these questions "wrong" or declined to answer?
  • tanghao | 31 May 2017, 06:20 PM Agree 0
    No way.It is very strict in singapore.
Post a reply