HRD Asia forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Can you legally rescind a job offer?

Notify me of new replies via email
HRD SG | 06 Mar 2015, 02:00 AM Agree 0
Rescinding an accepted job offer could be an expensive exercise, with employers told to be sure before inviting their prospect to sign on the dotted line
  • ello | 06 Mar 2015, 11:43 AM Agree 0
    What would happen if the candidate rescind the offer after he/she has signed on the letter of offer? Will he/she be liable for the loss/damages brought to the employer?
  • DL | 18 May 2015, 04:21 PM Agree 0
    " The Employment Act does not apply until the employer-employee relationship has started.
    If you’re an employer, you won’t be able to claim notice pay or any other compensation under the Employment Act in this case.
    You can consider a civil claim filed through your own lawyer. "

http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/contract-of-service-faqs/if-a-new-employee-has-signed-a-letter-of-employment-but-does-not-show-up-for-work-what-can-an-employer-do
  • Lee San | 07 Sep 2015, 10:12 AM Agree 0
    I have a question - how about a verbal offer? Is a verbal offer legal binding?
  • Mae GB | 11 Nov 2015, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    Hi.

I have signed a job offer to the company. I have resigned from my previous job provided that my work visa was initially approved. There were a legal split of the company, thus they withdrawn my work visa and re apply to the new company-however the worst part was the work visa was being unsuccessful this time. I was disappointed as I am unemployed. Appeal was also unsuccessful. They are trying their best to get my visa approved but i dont think i cant wait for another weeks and months. Do i have the right to withdraw? Please advise me. Thanks.
  • NE | 03 Jun 2016, 09:35 AM Agree 0
    Prior to the offer, the employee was made aware on many occasions of the employee's intention to retain their existing consulting period. The employee was reassured that it was not a problem and signed the employment offer letter. The employee's notice period was 3 months, and just 3 weeks prior to joining, employment T&Cs was issued with new additional conditions for employment: 1) Disclose clients and obligations of consulting business, 2) Establish timeline to winding down, 3) All IPs, inventions, parents established post employee joining will be property of new company.

Should the employee choose not to accept these newly added terms, the employee may rescind their offer. Plus #1 is not a reasonably legal request at it would require the employee to break all NDAs signed. #2 goes against what was previously agreed and will result in loss of income. #3 Again, it would seem unreasonable for the company to insist ownership of UP belonging to another company.

Please advise.
  • cs | 01 Sep 2016, 09:52 AM Agree 0
    What is the employee liability if he sign a service of contract but fail to turn out on first day of work. What can be a reasonable panalty . Please advise
  • Yam | 14 Sep 2016, 11:38 PM Agree 0
    As per the previous comment by DL, there is no liability under the Employment Act. You can check it out at:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/contract-of-service

"The contract is in effect when the new recruit turns up for work on the appointed starting date.

If the recruit fails to turn up:

The Employment Act does not apply, as the employer-employee relationship did not start
    The employer cannot claim notice pay or any compensation under the Act
    Any claims for compensation by the employer will have to be a civil claim through a lawyer"

However, the company might file a Civil Claim, though that seems to be unlikely.

Regards,

Yam
Post a reply