HRD Singapore forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is it legal for future employers to request for payslips from prospective employees?

Notify me of new replies via email
Julian Jeffrey Matius | 27 May 2016, 10:40 AM Agree 0
This has been an issue that has been bugging me for quite a while and while my situation consists of 2 separate issues (both of which I think is important to address, I'm focusing on the payslip issue for now...but feel free to answer both)

I was a regular for 13 years and left the civil service (as a non-commissioned officer) in 2012 and opted to venture to the open market instead of sticking to the defence industry. During the job hunt, I was constantly asked for salary statements, however, to my understanding, it is not legally binding to produce one. To my surprise, I was turned down from quite a number of jobs due to my insistence on such information being private and confidential. One HR manager had the audacity to imply that i was in fact breaking the law in not producing the salary statement.

I eventually ended up in a company that dealt with the civil service for recreational purposes and ended up handing in my salary statement (for the fear of being rejected for the 200th time). I was then told that they would have to peg me at a lower position of senior executive, instead of a manager position (which i applied for) and was given a lower salary (The reason being, my military career was not recognised).

So my 2 issues here are;

1. Is it legal that future employers request payslips from prospective employees?
2. Is it a breach of PDPA in this case?
3. (Optional) Why do companies not recognise skills and expertise of ex-soldiers, esp when the skills are directly transferable?
Post a reply