HRD Singapore forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

‘Tighter belts need slimmer companies’ – Manpower Minister

Notify me of new replies via email
HRD SG | 29 Jan 2016, 08:25 AM Agree 0
The Minister for Manpower has again called upon companies to become more efficient as growth in the labour market continues to slow down
  • Steven | 29 Jan 2016, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    There is no point for the Manpower Minister to kindly ask firms to hire more locals i.e. those who are over 50 and women who have left the workforce if there is a lack of legislation. Yes, there are some financial incentives to hire both sets of talents. Put a 2 or 3 month time-frame on firms after a headcount is approved to say, that firms are searching for a local/PR to fill the role. Only after this period, can they look externally. The current 2-week rule is useless in my opinion.
  • Alex Chong | 08 Mar 2016, 12:53 AM Agree 0
    Agree with the Minister that companies based in Singapore needs to build up their local Singaporean core.
    However, it is not easy for certain companies especially small SMEs that struggle to find or attract local candidates with the right skills sets to be part of the Singaporean core.
    I am not sure whether such policy can be applied across the board. I think a case by case approach would be more effective.
Post a reply