Ratul Dewan Jamal Dewan was working for Yong Xing Construction when the incident happened. He had been with the firm for about a month.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was called to the site at about 9pm where they took two workers to hospital. One suffered from trauma while the other experienced pain in his right knee and left shoulder.
The Ministry of Manpower
(MOM) was also informed of the incident on Saturday with officers from its Occupational Safety and Health Inspectorate (OSHI) responding immediately. The Ministry ordered all construction work to cease and investigations are currently ongoing.
When contacted, Yong Xing Construction said they “didn’t know” about the incident.
This isn’t the first time a safety breach has put the company in the news. In March, a mobile crane fell over while extending its boom at a construction site in Jurong. No one was injured.
MOM issued a stop-work order and an investigation was called. This, along with several other similar incidents, prompted the Ministry to commence an island-wide inspection of crane operations
“This is totally unacceptable. Our preliminary findings indicated that many of these cases could have been prevented if there were proper implementation of lifting plans and regular functionality checks on crane’s safety devices to ensure they are in good working condition,” Chan Yew Kwong, MOM’s director of OSHI said about the spate of accidents.
It is yet to be seen if this latest workplace death will trigger another similar investigation.
Crane accidents “unacceptable”: MOM takes action
Death toll drops on construction sites
How safe are Singapore’s workplaces?
A Bangladeshi construction worker has died after being hit by falling concrete. The incident took place at a site on Sunview Way on Saturday.