HRD Asia forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Wearing headphones at work: time for HR to step in?

Notify me of new replies via email
HRD SG | 11 Dec 2018, 08:59 PM Agree 0
Do headphones help employees to focus and maximise productivity?
  • Ben | 12 Dec 2018, 11:26 AM Agree 0
    Really ??? Is this even a topic worth discussing??
    These thoughts are extremely old school, and micro managing.
    Judge the employees by their productivity and not if they wear ear phones.
    Where are the boundaries? where does it stop?? If we found some articles or research papers on colour therapy ... do we also control what employees wear??
    Do we control how they sit?? Which hand they open the door with??? I know this sounds silly and extreme.
    But this is how the ear plug thingy sounds to me.
  • Dan | 13 Dec 2018, 01:52 AM Agree 0
    I find articles like this frustrating for a number of reasons:
    1. This appears to be an HR solution looking for a problem;
    2. While evidence against the open office concept is considerable and growing, any evidence related to the disruption to performance (because that is what matters) posed by wearing earphones is scant at best;
    3. The comments provided which contend that wearing earphones keep someone from being able to participate in ad hoc conversations taking place intermittently completely miss the point: we suffer from a lack of space available for focused, deliberate thinking (which in some environments, ear phones help to create), not opportunities to be interrupted.
    Please try to use judgment when writing articles that ask questions ("Wearing headphones at work: time for HR to step in?") not really deserving of an answer.
    Caveat: the point on music with lyrics being disruptive is a good one - if you listen to music to help you focus on important work, go the instrumental route...or songs sung in a language you don't understand.
  • | 13 Dec 2018, 01:53 AM Agree 0
    Yes - especially where other opportunities to do so are hard to come by.
Post a reply